Have you experienced physical abuse in your relationship? Maybe it has been combined with mental and emotional abuse, or maybe there is even an element of financial abuse. Often, all of these things are tied together, and it can make people feel trapped.

This is especially true for immigrants without green cards who are worried that they have no options due to their status

The VAWA offers a way out

The good news is that the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) gives you those legal options. Your status doesn’t matter. You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to utilize this protection. A core value in the United States is to protect women who are being abused in any of the ways noted above, and the VAWA works for you even when you are from another country.

But what if you’re not a woman? Are you unable to use this act based solely on your gender, even though you need the same protection?

The VAWA is for everyone, not just women

The Violence Against Women Act is thus named because women are often abused at the hands of their romantic partners, so it was a point of focus in offering them protection. However, this powerful legal tool was designed for everyone. It covers both men and women, who could both be subjected to abuse in opposite-sex or same-sex relationships. It also covers boys and girls who may face abuse. Despite the name, you may be able to use this to your advantage.

As a result, you don’t have to put up with abuse. You do not have to feel trapped in your relationship. Just make sure you know what steps to take, and you can leave that abusive relationship without fear.