Empowering Legal Solutions

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. The Weekly Pulse
  4.  » The Weekly Pulse – Why Do You Need a Lawyer to File a Zadroga Claim? 

Greetings! Last week, we introduced you to the James Zadroga Act and the main  requirements needed to determine eligibility. Today we are going to discuss why you may want  to consider working with a lawyer to file a Zadroga  and other relevant information. 

As a recap from last week, The Zadroga Act 911 Health and Compensation Act of 2011  gave 9/11 victims and their representatives the right to file compensatory claims with the VCF.  You are not required to have a lawyer to file a claim for the Zadroga Act – 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund (VCF). The claim form and instructions, as well as deadline information and  other considerations, are readily available online at the VCF’s website. However, many 9/11  claimants find it beneficial to be represented by an attorney during this process. Some victim’s  have never filed a claim for lost past and future wages and find the thought of gathering the  relevant documents overwhelming especially, so many years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. You  can file for a claim on behalf of yourself, as the personal representative of someone deceased, as  the parent or guardian of a minor, or as the guardian of a non-minor adult. 

If you choose to work with an attorney, here are some ways an attorney like The Law  Offices of Marjory Cajoux do for you: 

  • An attorney can help gather medical records from a private physician to verify a  physical illness or injury, according to the VCF’s guidelines. In addition, an  attorney can help you or a loved one apply for the WTC Health Program if you  choose.  
  • A lawyer can compile records or statements needed as evidence to prove the  victim’s presence as a responder, rescue or recovery worker, cleanup worker, or  volunteer at the 9/11 site (the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, or the Flight 93  crash site in Shanksville, PA).  
  • A lawyer can also help gather the documents needed to prove a victim’s  employment, residency, or presence in lower Manhattan as a civilian during the  attacks and aftermath including at a school or day-care facility.
    • These documents include employment records, pay stubs, tax records,  personnel rosters, utility bills, and school records verifying enrollment.
    • However, the VCF also accepts as proof sworn and notarized affidavits, or  unsworn statements complying with federal law, from anyone who can  attest to the victim’s presence at a 9/11 site between relevant dates. A  lawyer can assist in obtaining these statements or affidavits.
  • Whichever attorney you choose, they will file a VCF claim on your behalf to get  you the compensation you deserve to help you pay for your medical treatment,  medical bills, lost wages, and any other expenses you’ve incurred due to your  illness or injury.

Our dedicated and compassionate team at The Law Offices of Marjory Cajoux are committed to helping 9/11 survivors and their families to receive the benefits and care  that they deserve and need. The events of 9/11 were devastating on many levels, and  those who continue to suffer for these past 20 years can have this pain eased, even if just  a little, by compensation, to help eliminate the financial burdens they carry. Our personal  injury attorneys are compassionate and fully understand the challenges and  difficulties our clients face everyday. Contact us today and let our attorneys offer you  personalized attention and promise to file a claim and get the best recovery possible.

Save the Date!

We're hosting an Open House on Wednesday, November 17th from 12PM-2PM For Our Valued Clients! Please join us!

Our Founder is Being Featured!

Exciting News! Our owner Marjory Cajoux has been featured in LawDragon’s Lawyer Limelight (a Q&A series featuring discussions with top practitioners). See full article here.